Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Spider-Man Reboot?

It seems strange to even discuss a reboot of the Spider-Man franchise. I mean, Sam Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 3 was just released in 2007. This confuses me. Is Hollywood so out of ideas that three-year-old movies are game for being remade? It makes the FRIDAY THE 13TH and NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remakes seem understandable...

Which scares me.

Before tackling the logistics of this new Spider-Man, I want to take a minute to observe something. In 2003, HULK, starring Eric Bana was released. In 2008, Edward Norton starred in the franchise remake, THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Thomas Jane became Frank Castle in 2004's THE PUNISHER, which was incomparably better than PUNISHER: WAR ZONE, released in 2008. And now Spider-Man. Is it strange that comic book adaptations are seeing reboots in under 5 years? Is this okay? In each of these cases, I would argue that the first movie is far superior to the reboot...

And this brings me to Spider-Man.

Spider-Man (Widescreen Special Edition)The first of Raimi's movies was certainly acceptable. I actually really enjoyed it. But as A New Found Glory says, "it's all downhill from here."

The second movie was okay, but we lost the characterization that the first film did well----it more was based on action and the fan-hype over Doctor Octopus than anything else. I would have hoped that the fandom of Venom would have at least made the third movie bearable, but it wasn't. It really, really wasn't.

And I don't know if a reboot could save Spider-Man. Not while comic book adaptations like Nolan's Batman and the Iron Man series is critically and economically soaring. In fact, all Spider-Man hype will ultimately get lost in the Avengers film set to release the same year.

But we will have to see. Marc Webb will tackle the project's directing chair, and it seems like a large, ambitious, daunting project for a man with such a small list of accomplishments. But I'm not doubting him, yet----I am just skepticle of the project as a whole.

I mean, c'mon. After SPIDER-MAN 3, it's hard for me to get excited over anything web-related.

But Media Smarts wants to know, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment